And no wonder. York Minster is truly awe inspiring. This architectural and artistic masterpiece took more than 250 years to build. It is filled with unique and fantastic carvings and the world's greatest collection of intact, Medieval stained glass windows.
Its size, as it happens, is also fantastic. Facts:
- Length - 525 feet (160 meters)
- Width - 249 feet (76 meters)
- Height to vault - 88.5 feet (27 meters)
- West towers - Nearly 184 feet each (56 meters)
- Lantern tower - 233 feet (71 meters)
As Northern Europe's largest consecrated Medieval Gothic space, York Minster is also one of the world's largest Medieval Gothic Cathedrals. Only Chartres, south of Paris, is larger.
But size isn't everything. Among York Minster's other attractions are its unusual Chapter House and a history as a sacred place that extends back nearly 2000 years.
Find a place to stay in York and get a great rate