Planning A Trip to the United Kingdom
By Ferne Arfin
- Travelers' Essentials
- Itineraries, Getaways and Short Breaks
- UK Money Savers
- Getting to the UK
- Traveling Around the United Kingdom
Do you need a visa? A special driving permit? How to you find a doctor and will you have to pay? Can you bring a dog? And what is all that money worth? Here's where to find the essential, practical information you need.
- 10 Best Reasons for Visiting the UK in 2014
- Planning Your First Trip to the United Kingdom - Ten Questions to Answer
- How Stuff Works in a UK Vacation Rental
- 10 Great Reasons to Plan a UK Trip
- Picture Yourself in Britain - A Guide to Pictures of England, Scotland, Wales
- What Kind of Travel Money Should You Carry?
- When is Tipping Expected and How Much?
- Do You Need a Visa?
- UK Customs Regulations
- Searchable Database for Personal Food Import Rules
- What's the Weather Like? Average UK Temperatures and Rainfall
- How to Save Money on UK Travel
- Tips and Pointers for Solo Travel
- Getting Married in England, Scotland or Wales
- How to Find Help in an Emergency
- Quick Facts About UK Travel With A Dog
- How to Stay Green in the UK
- How to Choose Power Adaptors and Electrical Converters
- Tips for Driving in the UK
- 5-Year Calendar of Public Holidays in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
Itineraries, Getaways and Short Breaks
Discover the UK with timed itineraries, and short breaks, here and there, all over the place. Instead of putting all your eggs in one basket (and the usual suspects are London or Edinburgh), hop on a train or a bus and within a couple of hours you could be enjoying a thoroughly different vacation experience. The UK's smaller cities and towns are charming and varied. Its countryside, national parks and seashores are often breathtaking. And the best part is, all this history, landscape and adventure is packed into an area about the same size as New York State!
- Tour de France 2014 Stage 1 - The Yorkshire Dales
- Tour de France 2014 Stage 2 - York, Sheffield and the Peaks
- Tour de France 2014 Stage 3 - Cambridge to London
- 3 to 6-Day Itinerary to East Anglia
- 4 to 8-Day Travel Plan West of London
- Mini Itinerary - A Day in the High Peaks
- Plan a 5-Day Yorkshire Tour
- Plan a Weekend Getaway in Bath
- 48 Hours in Stratford-upon-Avon
- Plan a Brighton Getaway
- UK National Parks - A Round Up of All 15 National Parks
- 5 Fun Things to Do in Bristol
- An Ipswich Stopover
- An 8 Stop Literary Tour of England
- Bristol Itinerary - A Day Out in Clifton
UK Money Savers
Be a smart traveler and learn how to save money on UK travel while making the most of all that England, Scotland and Wales have to offer. UK travel does not have to break the bank. Follow these top tips to find out how to save money on UK travel.
- Cheap Rooms - 100 UK Rooms for Under £100
- 50 Free Things to Do in the UK
- Best Money Saving Ideas for UK Travel
- Cheap Eats - Money Saving Mealtime Ideas
- Cheap Digs - Money Saving Accommodations Ideas
Getting to the UK
Before you book your trip to the United Kingdom, explore your travel options: airport choices, arriving by sea, or crossing from Europe via the Channel Tunnel.
- UK Airports Serving Trans-Atlantic Flights
- Heathrow Airport Information
- Crossing the English Channel from Continental Europe
- Find Cheap Flights to UK Destinations
Traveling Around the United Kingdom
Check out how to get around in the UK. Here are the best ways to travel in the UK once you've arrived. Find out about train, coach and ferry travel as well as internal flights between the UK's biggest cities.
- Find the Transportation Option That Fits Your Travel Style
- Get Outta Town! How to Escape London to See More of the UK
- British Rail Travel Overview
- Bus and Coach Travel Overview
Cities and Towns
Venture beyond London for more of Britain's riches - a 750 year old university town, a thatched village on the downs, the breeding ground of 21st century indie sounds, a medieval shrine and pilgrimage center. The United Kingdom is full of vibrant cities, villages and towns drenched with history. Get the flavor of Britain's cities and towns with quick travel guides, itineraries, maps and touring ideas.
- Bath - Plan a Getaway
- Birmingham Travel Guide
- Brighton - Plan a Getaway
- Bristol -An International Magnet for Graffitti Artists
- Edinburgh Travel Guide
- Ipswich - England's Oldest Saxon Town
- Liverpool Travel Guide
- London Travel Guide
- Manchester Travel Guide
- Norwich - Plan a London Day Trip
- An Oxford Walk
- Sheffield Travel Guide
- Stratford-upon-Avon - A Pictorial Guide
- Whitstable - For Oyster Lovers
- Finding Medieval York
Find stately homes and wonderful gardens, scenic rambles and traditional pubs. The places and destinations that define the essential England will often surprise you.
- A Ramble in the Downs
- The Jurassic Coast
- The English Pub Pundit at the Old Cross Pub
- Things to do in London and the Southeast
- Things to do in the Southwest
- Things to do in Yorkshire and the Northeast
- A 5-Day Tour of Yorkshire's City Gems
- The Lake District at a Glance
- Kirkstone - The Highest Pass in the Lake District
- Ightham Mote - Medieval Manor and Living Museum of Architecture
- A Walk on the Wild Side in the Snape Marshes
- Constable Country
From the bustling cities of the South to the remote lochs, from the distant islands to the rugged highlands, there's plenty to see and do in bonny Scotland.
- Edinburgh Festival
- Visit a Scotch Whisky Distillery
- Loch Lomond and The Trossachs
- The 7stanes - A Mountain Biking Network Like No Other
The land of castles is also a country of rolling hills and valleys, majestic mountains and hundreds of miles of unspoilt coast. Wales, has its own distinctive culture, traditions, language - and amazingly spelled place names.
- Caernarvon Castle - A Symbol of Kingly Power
- The Great British Cheese Festival at Cardiff Castle
- Britain's Smallest Town - Llanwrtyd Wells
Places to Stay in England, Scotland and Wales
From charming B&Bs and vacation home rentals on the grounds of castles to romantic hideaways and chic urban hotels, from budget hostelries to the sky's the limit - whatever your travel style, find great places to stay throughout the United Kingdom.
- Tried, Tested and Recommended Country House Hotels
- Could Mary Queen of Scots' Prison be The Oldest Hotel in England?
- Self-Catering - Vacation Home Rental UK Style
- Book a University Dorm Room - Cheap Stays in Brilliant Places
- Mongolian Yurts in Dorset
- How About a Luxury Treehouse?
- Rent a Cottage from the Queen