Bicycle touring in the east of England suits cyclists of all abilities. It's an ideal region to explore on the kinds of relaxed cycling vacations and short breaks that don't involve high performance racing and hill climbing or adrenalin charged mountain biking.
If your ideal bicycle tour is meandering at your own pace, discovering countryside, rural villages and small historic cities, then cycling through the counties of East Anglia - Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire, along with Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, and London's near neighbor, Essex,is tailor made.
Easy Planning for a Week, a Weekend or an Hour
East of England, the official tourist organization for the region, makes planning a cycling holiday easy by mapping and describing at least 50 cycle tours. These include:
- Long distance bicycle tours along stretches of the national trails that cross the east of England.
- Short breaks over regional cycle routes
- Day trips to scenic corners and historic villages
- Easy loop routes for short cycling excursions
- Traffic-free routes for safe family outings.
The East of England Cycling website includes a route search feature as well as information about bicycle rentals, cycling package holidays to book, accommodations in cycling country and a calendar of cycling related events. I was particularly impressed with website's the interactive cycle route map.