Local artists and artisans produce beautiful ceramics, textiles, jewelry and wood products, much of which is sold in the shops of Kirkwall, Stromness, Dounby and St. Margaret's Hope. Follow the Orkney Craft Trail and you can watch them at work in their studios and workshops and see their handcrafted objects take shape.
These are just some of the artists who participate in the craft trail:
- Orkneyinga Silversmiths Jewelry and large silver objects. Open workshop from 10a.m. to 5p.m., Monday - Saturday, Easter through September.
- Fluke Jewellery Birsay jewelry maker inspired by marine life and nature. Open workshop May through September, Monday - Friday, 11a.m. to 5p.m. Orkney telephone: 01856 721242
- The Woolshed Handmade felt and knitwear from the fleece of the native, seaweed-eating, North Ronaldsay sheep. Natural wools for handknitters. Open workshop in Evie, April through September, Monday - Saturday, noon to 6p.m.; October to December, Saturdays, noon to 4p.m. Orkney telephone: 01856 751305
- Fursbeck Pottery Andrew Appleby makes handcrafted pottery ranging from individual pieces to full dinner services. Recreations of ancient pottery styles. Open workshop April to Christmas, Monday-Saturday, 10a.m. to 6p.m. Sunday 2p.m. to 5:30p.m.
- Belgarth Bodhrans Traditional Celtic drums and wood turning. Stromness workshop open April - September, noon to 5p.m.
- Tail&Style Hats, scarves,"beasties" and designer textiles. Studio above Stromness open April through September, Monday - Friday, 11a.m. to 4p.m.
- Scapa Crafts The makers of the unique Orkney chairs (pictured above) are open from 10 a.m. to 5p.m., Monday to Friday, year round.
- Sheila Fleet Sheila Fleet seems to employ her entire family and half the island's craftsmen in the creation of her island inspired jewelry of silver, gold, enamel and diamonds. The workshop and gallery are open Monday to Saturday 9a.m. to 5p.m. year round.
- The Workshop Modern knitwear and crafts inspired by traditional fisherman's patterns, in North Ronaldsay, Icelandic Lopi and Shetland wools. This is a craft producers cooperative in St. Margaret's Hope on South Ronaldsay. Open April to December, Monday to Saturday, 10a.m. to 5p.m., January to March, 10a.m. to 1p.m. Orkney telephone: 01856 831587