Sophie and Mark Dorber, took over the Anchor in 2007 after successfully running the White Horse in southwest London's Parsons Green. We'd been told that Mark was very knowledgeable about local and international beers but nothing could have prepared us for the surprising selection of local and Belgian beers he had chosen with the care of a wine sommelier, to accompany the wild feast.
The meal began, promisingly, in the pub's sunny walled garden, where samphire fritters were accompanied by and elderflowery scented light ale, Summer Dream, from the nearby Real Ale brewer, Green Jack in Lowestoft.
The Anchor at Walberswick Essentials
- Address: Main Street, Walberswick, Suffolk, IP18 6UA
- Telephone: +44 (0)1502 722 112
- Open: 11a.m. to 11p.m. every day. Lunch from noon to 3p.m. and dinner from 6 to 9p.m. every day.
- Price Range: Moderate gastropub prices offer good value for the quality of the food, wine and beer.
- Extras? Emphasis on local and organic produce when possible, including organic and biodynamic wines and beers. The pub offers simple accommodations as well.