Saturday cookery classes at Simpsons, Birmingham:
- What: A day long demonstration of cooking techniques plus a gourmet lunch at one of the top restaurants in the English Midlands.
- When: Every Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 or 4 p.m.
- Where: Simpsons Restaurant in Edgbaston on the edge of Birmingham.
- Cost: £125 (in 2012) for the class, plus morning coffee and lunch with wine from the restaurant's full menu.
- To Book: Bookings are taken by telephone only. Call reception +44 (0)121 454 3434, at least a month in advance.
- Gift Vouchers: Cookery School gift vouchers make a great present for a foodie friend or partner. Purchase by telephoning the number above.
Restaurant results for the home cook:
Simpsons' Head Chef, Adam Bennett, who often teaches Simpsons' Saturday cookery class says it is designed to enable participants to prepare a dinner party for 12 to 15 with confidence.
The course, he says, exemplifies "the Simpsons food ethos, simplified for the home cook." That ethos includes choosing the best available produce and combining it simply with two or three other flavors.
"It's all about the produce," he says.
An easy going day at Simpson's Cookery School:
Classes are limited to 10 to 12 participants. The sessions begin with coffee, biscuits and a chat about the plan for the day. The demonstration includes preparation of a three course menu, followed by a behind the scenes tour of the Simpsons' kitchen.
After the lesson, participants go into the restaurant for a three course lunch, including wines. Simpsons' Chef de Cuisine Luke Tipping sometimes hosts the lunch.
After lunch, participants join the Sommelier to tour the wine cellars. The atmosphere is so convivial by then that they often linger over wine in the bar.