There's lots happening in the UK as the festival season gets motoring in April. Days are getting longer and warmer, daffodils are blooming and locals are ready to get out and enjoy themselves. Join them in a range of music, food and drink, heritage, sports and hobbyist fairs and events.
Weather Tip: If you arrive in April, plan on changeable weather. Bring layered clothing and some wet weather gear -- including shoes that can take the mud.
HighlightsIt's St. George's Day, England's national day, on April 23. The same day is also Shakespeare's birthday and, coincidentally, the day the Bard is said to have died. Compared to the Irish (St. Patrick), the Welsh (St. David) and the Scots (St. Andrew), The English have been slow to mark their patron saint's feast day. But more and more events are planned every year as St. George's Day grows in popularity. Did he actually slay a dragon? Find out more about what's on for St. George's Day this year.
- Nantwich Jazz, Blues & Music Festival - Top jazz acts and loads of free music in Cheshire.
Food and Drink
- The British Asparagus Festival This two month festival celebrates the asparagus season in the Vale of Evesham with races, cookery, tastings, eating contests and all kinds of events. It was recently named regional winner in the Visit Britain Eccentric Festival Awards.
- Chester Food, Drink and Lifestyle Festival
- Exeter Festival of Southwest Food and Drink
- Bishop Aukland Food Festival
- Tucker's Maltings Beer Festival - Beer tasting in a real Victorian malthouse.
- East Anglian Beer Festival - a four-day annual tasting festival to highlight the best East Anglian beers.
- Peak District Walking Festival End of April, early May. More than 100 walks, talks and special events in Britain's best walking country.
- The Oxford Cambridge Boat Race - One of rowing's great challenges and a festive day out in London
- The Grand National - The greatest Steeplechase race in the world.
- The London Marathon
- St. Andrews Golf Week Six days of golf in Scotland on the courses where the sport was invented.
- Morpeth Northumbrian Gathering - A festival of the ancient folk traditions of Northeast England.
- Shakespeare's Birthday at the Globe - A three day festival at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in London.
- Shakespeare's Birthday in Stratford-upon-Avon - More Shakespeare celebrations in the Bard's hometown.
- The Beltane Fire Festival - Edinburgh's Celtic welcome to the summertime.
Arts and Flowers
- The Shrewsbury International Cartoon Festival A weekend of witty - and free - events with internationally famous cartoonists.
- RHS Cardiff Flower Show The start of the flower show season in England
- The Harrogate Spring Flower Show - Tulips, hostas and 100 nurserymen in the North of England
Hobbyists and Anoraks
- Edinburgh International Science Festival - Twelve days of non-stop science fun for the whole family.
- The Scottish National Modelling Championship