- What: Jewel in the crown of the UK’s thriving flamenco scene. An annual, two-week-long gathering of flamenco artists from all over the world
- When: February or March
- Where: Sadler's Wells Theatre, Rosebery Avenue, London EC1R 4TN, and nearby venues
- Telephone:+44 (0)20 7863 8198
- Admission: Various prices, booking in advance recommended, some related events free.
- Visit the Sadler's Wells Festival website
Flamenco Festival in LondonYoung or old, new to flamenco or expert, fans of Spanish dance flock to the Sadler’s Wells Flamenco Festival, an eagerly anticipated annual fixture in the UK’s thriving flamenco scene. In two short weeks it’s possible to experience the full range of the best of flamenco – all in London. The annual programme packs in the world’s best traditional flamenco dancers and musicians alongside those who are pushing the boundaries of their art.
The Greatest Names in FlamencoAll of Flamenco's biggest stars have come to Sadler’s Wells Flamenco festival. Among them:
- Eva Yerbabuena, who brings her own stage floor
- Sara Baras
- Joaquín Cortez
- Israel Galván
- Isabel Bayón’s
- Paco Peña
- Carmen Linares - known as the First Lady of Cante
- Miguel Poveda
More Than Flamenco PerformancesThe festival includes free after-show classes for beginners and workshops where you can learn from the stars themselves. There's an active festival fringe which includes a juerga night - an open night where anyone can get up and improvise some flamenco or simply watch and appreciate.
Major productions and popular companies take over the main Sadler's Wells stage during the festival. Specialist, less well-known and experimental flamenco artists perform next door at the more intimate Lilian Baylis Theatre.
If you're planning to be in London during March and especially if you've never seen flamenco artists at close quarters, the annual Sadler's Wells Flamenco festival is one to include on your itinerary.