Question: How Do I Get to the South Downs Way from London?
I'm visiting London and I would like walk some of the South Downs Way. I've heard it's an easy day trip from London. How do I plan my journey and what will it cost?
Answer: There are dozens of access points along the South Downs Way, which are well served by rail, local bus and taxi services. This sample journey should give you an idea. Total cost of this round trip between the South Downs Way and London, Victoria Station costs between£23.00 and £36 depending upon your choices.
- Train from Victoria to Amberley Round trip costs £16.10. Trains leave hourly and take about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Schedules and other rail information is available from the National Rail Enquiries website.
- Hike the South Downs Way to the center of Washington Village.
- Bus to Horsham Station costs about £7 and takes an hour.From Horsham you can catch the train back to Victoria Station.
- Alternatively, you can take a taxi (cost about £20)from Washington center back to Amberley Station and enjoy that village's local pubs before heading back to Victoria by train. Castle Cars (Tel:01903 884444) is a good local service or check the national Train-Taxi information line for other stations.
- South Downs Way Information