- What: The biggest and longest Christmas Market outside of Germany.
- Where: Markets spread across Victoria Square, Chamberlain Square and New Street, with other activities around the city.
- When: Early November to December 23. 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. (November 18 to December 23 in 2010) Some years, depending upon the Hindu calendar, Diwali celebrations (end of October to mid November) lead festivities off. Birmingham can be ablaze with festive lights for months on end.
Birmingham Bring's Frankfurt to Town for Christmas:
For the past seven years, Birmingham, England has joined it's twinned city, Frankfurt, Germany, to fill the city center with a huge Frankfurt Christmas Market. It's the biggest such event in England and, in fact, the biggest and longest Christmas Market outside of Germany.
The market includes 90 stalls in Victoria Square, selling traditional handmade toys, Christmas decorations, jewellery, and crafts, along with German wines not usually available in the UK and lots of German goodies to eat and drink. A bit later in November, a thirty stall craft market sprouts in Chamberlain Square.
And More Holiday Fun in Birmingham:
- A traditional bandstand in Victoria Square with lunchtime and evening concerts as well as carol singing.
- Diwali Celebrations at Millennium Point, with fireworks, live Indian music, food and dance.
- Open air Ice Skating in Centenary Square
- Broad Street Canal Boat Light Parade - a procession of illuminated canal boats, from NIA to The Mailbox on December 9.
- Traditional decoration making at the Birmingham Museum Victorian Christmas Weekend.